Wednesday 22 April 2009

The Veggie Haunts my ड्रेंस

Was at a BBQ at the weekend and happened to get chatting to a veggie. It was actually a good BBQ for a veggie if that is possible in that there was a wide selection of pasta and salad type dishes, little bowls of olives and mozzarella, sun dried tomatoes etc etc.

I stuck to steak burgers, chicken and a couple of sausages.

I asked her about her motivations for not eating meat and she continued to tell me a few stories about her childhood experiences and her love of animals. She explained she grew up on a farm and would give the pigs, sheep and cows individual names. Then they would suddenly disappear. They had gone to a new home apparently, or so that’s what her uncle or dad would tell her.

One day she accompanied her dad to a Slaughter house and witnessed her farmyard buddies facing the chop. That was the turning point for her. She gave up meat from that day on.

I never thought much about it at the time but over the last few days it has entered my head a few times. Are we meant to eat meat? Could we do without our bacon sarnies or chicken tikka?
Is their cruelty involved in your ribeye? Are pigs intelligent? I could go on. All I know is its got me thinking abou things. Was also on a friends farm recently so maybe thats tainted things for me a bit - so maybe the future will mean only eating meat from animals who had a good, healthy life and were well cared for. Or does it mean going full blown and becoming a veggie. Time will tell blogspots.

Love and Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment